Tuesday 9 December 2008

Which version of the Bible?

A colleague from another Church of England diocese emailed round today asking which version of the Bible we asked our students to use in their assignments. His students are expected to use the new Revised Standard version (NRSV), and he was wondering if that was a little restrictive. I answered that I hoped the people who learn on our courses use that version, too, but that I always suggest to people that they might want to use a different version in their daily prayer. Keith said that I should have replied that we don't mind what the students use, but that the staff are expected to read the scriptures in the original languages. (I liked his sense of humour!). But it got me thinking. If language is formative of culture, and of meaning, how is an individual candidate for licensed ministry being formed by the language of the Bible that they use? For instance, I ask our students to use an inclusive language version because I have had experience of women being alienated from Christianity because they perceive the Bible as sexist and patriarchal. Inclusive language versions, to my mind, don't necessarily solve that particular problem, but can at least go part of the way to helping women feel that they belong as part of the Church.

No comments:

Welcome to Beren's Blog