Tuesday 12 April 2011

New media training day

Our department at work are having a day learning about using facebook, twitter, blogs etc. I haven't tried twitter yet - I can't quite see how it could be useful in my work.

One question was about the way that some people can't access the new media as they can't afford or get broadband. My colleague said that this meant that there were 'pools of privilege' which had the effect of disenfranchising those who aren't broadband enabled. So this means that rather than being a way of flattening society and getting rid of hierarchies, the 'flat society' is limited to those who have rapid online access.

My sister is a farmer in deeply rural Herefordshire.  She can't get broadband, and if she could, wouldn't necessarily be able to afford it.  So her ability to communicate by anything but her mobile phone is stricly limited. When will things change?!!!

No comments:

Welcome to Beren's Blog