Wednesday 27 July 2011

New job - continuing vision

I started a new job on July 1st.  I am now responsible for curate training, still in the Oxford Diocese.

The Bishop of Oxford recently wrote to the diocesan clergy that ministry in this diocese, as in many, I guess, will need to be re-imagined in the light of the expected 'bulge' in stipendiary clergy retirement over the next few years.

I often wonder why it is that locally deployed parish focused associate clergy aren't clearly in the frame when we think about ministry in the future.  These people, particularly if they are formed as mission-minded ministers (as I hope that the 100 or so ordinands I have seen through to ordination on this and the earlier OLM track in this diocese were), are a huge resource to local churches.

In my mind, as I worked with them, I held (and hope that I communicated) a vision for them to be missional leaders in their local parishes, working with a team, and having a heart for initiating and leading new congregations. I know of several who have responded to this call from God, although I am concerned that  such initiatives may be curtailed somewhat if a new vicar is appointed who does not see the potential, or who perhaps feels threatened by colleagues who are 'apostolic' in this way.


I am looking forward to plenty of opportunities in my new role to encourage our curates, whether they are paid or voluntaryand self-supporting, nationally or locally deployed, to be open to new ways of thinking about mission and ministry.

No comments:

Welcome to Beren's Blog