Friday 30 January 2009

Nativity plays and their theology

The latest essay for my DMin is just finished! I've done a cultural studies type analysis on nativity plays and their embodied theology. I learnt so much, but only scratched the surface of all the reading I could have done, even though that meant over 25 references in the bibliography. It left me realising 2 things:
1. To do this DMin, I am having to get up to doctoral standard in at least 6 theological disciplines, with a bare 3 months to do so for each. I'm looking forward to the end of this year when my 6 assignments are done, and I can focus more in one area.
2. It's very clear that there is a dearth of empirical research in many areas of church life, and practically none at all about nativity plays.
Would I have chosen to look at these if I hadn't attended two last Christmas? Mmm - probably not. (see below)

Still, it was all good fun, and very mentally stimulating, so much so that now I feel as if my mind has turned into goo. One of my colleagues suggested that I start an Abingdon mystery play cycle since I had to learn so much about them for the essay. What an exciting idea! Then reality kicked in - perhaps I should start gently by finding a mystery play cycle to attend before tackling such a mammoth enterprise!

No comments:

Welcome to Beren's Blog